Association Communautaire

Fallingbrook

Community Association

 

Minutes of meeting held February 21, 2001 (8:10 p.m.)

 

Attendees:, George Blake, Marc Cappelli, Herb Kreling, Phil McNeely, Don Pottier, Zybina Richards, Bill and Tanya Wackley, Gilles Warren

 

Regrets:, Ron Hamelin, Brenda Spearman, David Villeneuve

 

Opening Remarks:

Zybina thanked everyone for braving the weather to attend the meeting.  Welcomed residents Bill and Tanya Wackley and introduced all table members.

Subject

Discussions/Decisions

Agenda

The Agenda was accepted on a motion by Don Pottier, seconded by George Blake

Minutes

Acceptance of  Minutes of January 15, 2001 Meeting was deferred to March 19th Meeting.

Treasurer

No change in Report. Todate approximately $7000.00 spent on Outdoor Rink and approximately $900.00 on Winterfest.  Motion for the acceptance of the Treasurer’s Report as presented was seconded by George Blake and carried.

Councillor Kreling

Herb apologized for not being able to provide his report in advance.

In January there were complaints of speeding on Merkley and 10th Line.  There are plans to get the “speeding trailer” out on these streets to monitor the traffic.  Council is looking at getting the support from the Police and City for a long term solution.

 

OC Transpo – Complaints were received on the reliability and overcrowding of Routes 20, 30, 35, 27.  Ridership is up.  The new “low floor” buses will have the capacity of the current “high floor” and will be available to start services in March.  Transplan 2001 – consultation Open House meeting is schedule for Wednesday February 21st 5:30p.m. to 8:30p.m. at the Ray Friel Centre.

 

Snow Removal – no complaints.  There is some road deterioration due to the weather.

 

Recreation Meeting to be held on Wednesday, February 21st at 7:30p.m. at (Old Cumberland City Hall).

 

Hearing for Trim Road Corridor (174/Innes) is set for June.

Councillor McNeely

Finance for the Millennium Park is still to be approved.

 

Received complaints from Seniors of increased membership fees (by 13.8%) at Ray Friel.  Their consolation (not by Mr. McNeely) was that Ray Freil’s price was still the lowest.

 

High school scheduled to be built East of Trim Road is on hold.  A different spot on site is being looked at.

 

Hull Council is interested in extending Light Rail services to the East.  Plans to have 3 trains operational in August.

 

Complaints have been received from Jean Sauve School about the sidewalks surrounding the school.

Newsletter

Don reported that he would like to put it together on Sat 3 Mar for delivery by Ad- Bag on the weekend of 9-10 March.  The deadline for submissions will be Thursday  March 1st with the following items being included:
Ray Friel Proposed Development (David's article)
Winterfest Pictures (who has some pictures?)
Announcement for Garage Sale (Saturday, May 12th)
Announcement for Canada Day
Announcement for Volunteer Awards - Zybina to provide date.   Paul Pelletier (in his absence) was appointed to screen nominations.

Announcement for AGM – to be held in May.

Don also invited Herb and Phil to provide a bulleted list of issues they feel that they would like to have Fallingbrook residents made aware of.  These would be issues that will need some discussion and decisions made within the next year or so. Are there any priority issues
that residents should provide comments on?

FCA Website

Currently maintained by David Villeneuve and Ron Hamelin.  Zybina recommended that it continues in this manner.  Marc Cappelli made mention of Queenswood Heights Community Centre’s Website which has a link to FCA’s Website and asked if this was reciprocated.

Petrie Island

Nothing to Report

Canada Day

In Dave’s absence, Zybina read the following report which was provided by Dave via email:

Canada Day Committee met last week, everything is a go. We will introduce a free petting zoo and a pony ride for a nominal $1 fee. We and Homeniuk Amusements would like to have more rides at the Ray Friel site, but there is the problem of how much of the parking lot they can take. The rink will be closed and there are fewer programs going on that week. We will have to consult with Serco, and keep Councillor Kreling advised. Our normal funding request to Cumberland has been received by the new Ottawa Administration, but no word on how much to expect. Thank you letters have been mailed to all sponsors; George will arrange for a
special recognition for Canadian Tire, e.g. plaque or photo, maybe photo for local newspapers.

With regards to funding by the City, Councillor Kreling suggested that the FCA provide him with a listing with what was provided either in grants or kind.  The requirements for Homeniuk Rides should also be submitted and he will address it locally.

Recreation Committee

David Villeneuve and Paul Pelletier will be representing FCA at the Recreation Meeting on Wednesday, February 21st. 

QHCA

John Morgan is looking into getting Trillium funding for the QHCA but needs to get Association Incorporated first.

 

Al Tweedle is trying to encourage the local schools to visit Petrie Island – as a field trip – during May/June.

 

“The Bridge” – A draft Plan has been prepared by John Morgan and Al Tweedle and will be submitted to City Council or “Bridge” Committee.

Open Discussion

Covered under Newsletter.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.  Next meeting Monday, March 19, 2001 at 8:00p.m.  at the Ray Friel Centre Meeting Room.

 

Prepared by Zybina Richards