Association Communautaire

Fallingbrook

Community Association

 

Minutes of meeting held February 18, 2002 (8:05 p.m.)

 

Attendees: Herb Kreling, Don Pottier, Zybina Richards, Giles Warren, David Villeneuve, Pierre Blais, Dan Brisebois, Rob Jellet, Ron Hamelin, Lynn Hamelin, Brenda Spearman

 

 

Subject

Discussions/Decisions

Agenda

The Agenda was accepted on a motion by Don Pottier, and seconded by David  Villeneuve.

Minutes

Acceptance of the Minutes from January 21, 2002 meeting was accepted on a motion from David Villeneuve and seconded by Don Pottier.

 

Treasurer

Don provided the FCA year to date report.  The report does not include the rink grants for this year, which causes the blance sheet to show a $5,000.00 deficit.  One the rink grants are in we will be effectively at zero. The treasurers’ report was accepted on a motion from Don and seconded by David Villeneuve.

 

New Business:

The Eastender

Fred Sherwin presented the Eastender , an electronic newspaper and website servicing Orleans. The website is an advertising vehicle as well as an editorial newspaper. The community calendar and local news is updated every day.  Sports events are updated three or four times a week. The Classified is free.  Community services and agencies are included with links to the web.  Every Saturday morning an electronic newspaper is sent out to about 300 people on the mailing list.  Fred is trying to get the word out to the community about the Eastender. Fred would like the email addresses of anyone who would like to subscribe. To access the website the email address is: orleansonline.ca

Herb and David V. both mentioned that the present local papers ( in hard copy) seem to have a distribution problem as delivery seems erratic.

 

Councillor Kreling

A copy of the Petrie Island master plan review.  The master plan will be a discussion point in the budget.  The budget meeting is on February 26 from 5:00 –9:00 PM.  Another budget meeting may be run depending on response. The timeline for the internal ice surface review for Ray Friel is set for April.  This will be an internal look at “ the footprint”. The compressor is in fact not big enough to run a second ice surface.  The compressor room size is big enough. The existing compressor is nearing the end of its life cycle. Presently there is one spot at the Millenium sports park that can sustain a building, but the site is slated for a High School.

Serco is also looking for an additional 8,000 to 10,000 square feet for more recreational facilities.

A local component of a Volunteer night for appreciation of local volunteers will be offered in conjunction with the Community Associations.

The new Police Department building will be complete in March with a grand opening scheduled during Police Week in May. 

 

Rink Operation

Ron Hamelin indicated that a number of concerns regarding the ice conditions, were a result of staffing issues.  Ron indicated that all of the staff had been suspended as a result of the concerns, until they were able to rectify the problems.  Ice flooding has been done late at night, as it is colder at that time.  To flood they need double digits below zero.  Weather conditions, specifically higher than average temperatures continue to be a problem this season.

The new contract with the City for next year indicates the City will cover the cost of equipment and the up-keep.

Ron H. and Lynn will be speaking with the night staff at Jeanne Sauve to make sure the equipment is locked up.

Ron H. brought up the issue of first aid qualification as a result of a memo he had seen from the City.  He expressed concern that this may cause a staffing problem if the operators are required to have first aid. Dan Brisebois indicated that we have one too many gas cans at Maple Ridge for the Fire Code.  Ron H. will remove the extra can.

Don and Zybina both requested attendance reports for the rink report.

Ron H. is planning a broom ball challenge and would like the FCA to submit a team.

Newsletter

Don indicated that the next newsletter will go out in March and will advertise Volunteer night and the Annual General Meeting.  Don would like to put out one 8 X 10 colour sheet and on the front explain the FCA ( key activities) and on the back advertise the garage sale, AGM, and the Volunteer night. Don expressed concern for the distribution of these fliers.

Petrie Island

Home depot has expressed interest in becoming involved with the Friends of Petrie Island.

Canada Day

David V. passed around letters of thanks from the Community Resource Centre and another letter from Brian Coburn.  Woodfield Homes has already provided a $100.00 cheque to Canada Day as a response to our letter of thanks.

David gave copies of the Corporation Annual return for 2002 to Brenda and Zybina. The next Canada Day meeting will be on February 21 at Debbie Parent’s house.

Garage Sale

The date for the garage sale was agreed to be on Saturday May 18.  Dave will give the press release to the Eastender.  Herb volunteered to provide metal posts and drivers for the signage.  Marc Capelli will be in charge of the signs.

QHCA

 Al Tweddle made a presentation on Petrie Island as well as Fred Sherwin on the Eastender. The Association is looking at creating a 40th Anniversary book for the Queenswood Height Community Association. The neighborhood watch program is having difficulty but it is still operating. Herb mentioned that the new Police Services have created a new and improved Neighborhood Watch Program to address revitalization.

 

Open Discussion

Not minuted as the secretary had to leave.

 

Meeting adjourned sometime after 10:00 p.m.  Next meeting Monday, March 18, 2002 at 8:00p.m.  at the Ray Friel Centre Meeting Room. Ted Macias will chair in Zybina’s absence.

Prepared by Brenda Spearman