Fallingbrook Community Association
Minutes of the Executive Meeting
20 March 2006
Ray Friel Centre
Zybina Richards, David Villeneuve, George Blake, Catherine Greenidge (representing Bob Monette), Marc
Cappelli, Philippe Berthiaume (representing Royal Galipeau), Bob Monette, Eric
Tousignant, Louise Lapensee (representing Rob Jellett), Paul Pelletier (arrived
Regrets: Don Pottier
- Moved (Marc) and seconded (George)
Minutes from November 2005 Meeting
- Moved (George) and seconded (Marc) to accept the minutes.
Treasurer's Report (Don Pottier)
- Don had submitted the financial report by e-mail. Because Don was
away, the acceptance was deferred.
Philippe Berthiaume on behalf of Royal Galipeau MP
- Constituency office now open at 255 Centrum
- The House will sit April 10
- Has "ten percenter" newsletter, open to community groups
- Marc asked if Arthur Carty will continue as Science Advisor, Philippe
will report back.
MPP Matters Arising (Zybina)
- Zybina reports that there was still no response from Phil McNeely from
her request enquiring about the status of Sonshine Families Trillium
- Marc said that as far as he was aware, there has not been a report for
the 2005 season from Sonshine Families, as is required by their grant
Louise Lapensee on Behalf of Councillor Rob Jellett
- Louise asked about property on Trim Road for Homeniuk rides. She
had provided the mailing address of the owner. Zybina replied that the
letter to the numbered company had been drafted by Don and was ready to go.
- Innes Road should be completed by July
Councillor Bob Monette
- Cardinal Creek community association had its inaugural meeting, 75
people attended. Elections in May. Former Fallingbrook C.A.
president Sean Crossan likely to become president.
- Multicultural Committee has been formed and has elected its executive.
- Ray Friel Center will be inspected due to complaints about cleanliness
- Canada Day on Petrie Island -- 4 east end councillors are each
approaching a municipal service organization (e.g. police, fire) to request
that they absorb their costs of supporting Canada Day. Last year they
paid most of the costs, which would be about $32,000.
- Graffiti program started. Bob will visit area schools with photos
of graffiti damage. April 27 meeting at QHCC for public input into how
to solve the problem.
Garage Sale (David)
- Garage sale on Saturday 13, rain or shine
- David will update web site
- George will do advertising in Citizen, Pennysaver, etc.
Petrie Island Report (Zybina)
- Management Committee met Feb 21, chaired by Dan Brisebois (City of
- Plans to improve drainage in center of beach, dust control on roads
- more garbage cans
- Washroom facilities to be built, but Bob Monette says this may be
removed from capital budget, which he opposes)
- Provincial Bass Fishing Derby in September at Petrie.
- Zybina will try to attend the next meeting, otherwise Marc will
Volunteer Awards Evening (Zybina)
- Scheduled for April 29, 7 pm, location to be determined by Zybina
- Everyone was asked to find nominees
- Zybina has a youth award
- Monique Blake will do French Scouts, French Separate schools
- Eric will do French public schools
- Marc will do French elementary schools
- David will check for left-over nominations from last year.
- Zybina will ask Dixon Lawson, Sandra McInnes for names
- David will ask Patrick Wall for Scouts.
Homeniuk Amusement Rides
- Zybina will send a letter drafted by Don to the numbered
corporation that owns the land next to the Trim Park and Ride.
- Dan Brisebois told Zybina that the Homeniuk rides cannot go on Petrie
- Dan suggested some city land on the south-east corner of Trim and 174,
also adjacent to the Park and Ride
- David will send e-mail to previous FCA Canada Day committee
members, to hold a meeting at Marc's house to discuss the possibility of the
FCA taking responsibility for the Kids Tent at Canada Day. Marc will
propose a date.
Possible Fundraisers (Zybina)
- Zybina suggested various fund raisers, for example embassies selling
national drink samples
- Eric suggested a picnic at Gardenway Park
- George suggested Taste of Glebe, restauranteurs giving food samples
- Other ideas talked over
- George said that amusement rides are the least work and the highest
payoff. George will enquire at the new mall at Watters and Trim
Outdoor Rinks (Paul Pelletier)
- Don had suggested that, since the rink season was unusually short this
year, we should refuse the CIty's third cheque.
- Paul had spoken with Judith Dupuis-Neale of the City about this issue.
She suggested that Paul remove 3 weeks from the Maple Ridge funding and 2
weeks from Gardenway, due to the short season.
- The City will send a reduced third cheque
- George said that any surplus should go towards consumables, such as new
shovels and snowblower maintenance.
- Paul felt that it was difficult for him to supervise three rinks, would
prefer to drop Maple Ridge.
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:40pm.
Minutes recorded by David Villeneuve