Fallingbrook Community Association
Minutes of the Executive Meeting
24 April 2006
Ray Friel Centre
Zybina Richards, David Villeneuve, Marc Cappelli, Don Pottier, Brenda
Spearman, Phil McNeely MPP, Catherine Greenidge (representing Bob Monette), Philippe Berthiaume (representing Royal Galipeau), Louise Lapensee (representing Rob Jellett)
- Moved (Don) and seconded (Brenda)
Minutes from March Meeting
- Moved (Marc) and seconded (David) to accept the minutes.
Matters Arising from previous meeting
- Re Arthur Carty's position as national science advisor -- Philippe had no
answer as to whether Dr Carty still held this position.
- Garage sale -- David updated web site, including FreeCycle web site info
from Marc. Will add Diabetes and Muscular Dystrophy associations to
list of those who will take unused items after the sale.
Treasurer's Report (Don Pottier)
- Don presented the annual financial report of the FCA. It showed a
surplus of $565.99.
- Don said that a rink grant cheque for about $1500 was returned to the
city because of the short season.
- The annual report was approved on a motion by Don and Brenda.
- Don presented a draft FY2006-07 budget proposal, and wants feedback
before the AGM.
Philippe Berthiaume on behalf of Royal Galipeau MP
- Constituency office open and very busy
- Carrine WIlson AACP sportsplex proposal supported by MP, looking for
- Don will send info to Philippe for 10 percenter re garage sale,
- Mr Galipeau is assisting with Canada Day celebration on Petrie, is
- Marc asked if we could get flags for volunteer awards evening.
Phil McNeely MPP
- Phil is supporting AACP proposal.
- Trillium Grant to Sonshine Families will be decided in June
- Phil did not know about Sonshine report required by Communities in
Action grant from last year
- Improvement of the 417/174 split is under environmental assessment, so
cannot yet receive capital funding
- Unsuccessful with Family Health Team application, not enough doctors
signed on. Phil argued with the Minister of Health on this issue.
- Phil is working on getting more support for the Orleans Urgent Care
- Trying to set up one high school for remote teaching with Algonquin
- Team Ottawa Orleans is working hard on these initiatives
Louise Lapensee on Behalf of Councillor Rob Jellett
- There may be a problem with garage sale signs, bylaw officers are
removing all signs they find.
- Louise asked that David send her a list of sign locations, and
she will ask Bylaw to leave them up.
- Marc had a rant about more and more regulations strangling volunteers.
Catherine Greenidge on behalf of Councillor Bob Monette
- The Multicultural Committee -- The committee held one
it’s regular board meeting on March 30th, 2006 and in the past
has had to deal with various issues such as the selection of executive
officers. On April 18th, 2006 the Multicultural Committee’s
Executive Committee held it’s very first meeting. This is the first
Multicultural Committee in the new amalgamated City of Ottawa.
- Park n Ride-- The new Park n Ride was officially open
at the Orleans Recreation Centre on April 10, 2006 allowing residents of
Covent Glen to be able to go in a forward direction to park their cars, and
then catch a bus to commute to work.
- Youth Council -- Bob
Monette met with the new Youth Council on Friday, April 21, 2006 at Sir
Wilfred Laurier High School. A student from each grade was selected from
each high school in the Orleans area was chosen to be on a Youth Council to
meet with Bob on a monthly basis. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss
with Bob their opinions regarding various issues that impact youth in the
community. It was a very interesting a dynamic meeting that was held that
day, with youths deciding to go back and meet with their school peers to get
their opinions regarding various topics that came up in the initial
discussion on that day. A major issue that did come forth was a need for a
youth centre for youths in our area. The next meeting will be held on May
19th, 2006 at St. Matthews High School. There will not be a
meeting for June because of final exams or during the summer months.
- Graffiti Meeting - April 27th, 2006 --
There will be information Graffiti meeting is being at Queenswood Heights
Community Centre which is located at 1485 Duford at the corner of Amiens at
7:00 p.m. on April 27th, 2006. A large sector of the community
has been invited to participate in the information night such as Police,
Service Clubs, Community Associations, Neighbourhood Watch Associations and
it is open to the public.
Charlemagne and Princess Louise (west) Intersection (David)
- The committee agreed that this intersection should be fixed.
- David will send the following information to Catherine:
Since the traffic signal was installed there, the lane markings on
Charlemagne were modified. There is now a dedicated left turn lane on the inside
eastbound lane for east-to-north movements, plus an additional left turn lane
for west-to-south movements. This leaves only a single straight-through
eastbound lane on Charlemagne. At first I thought this was an improvement, but
now I think it has had negative unintended consequences.
- The center eastbound lane ends at Princess Louise, and vehicles that miss
this point are then in the westbound left turn lane, going the wrong way.
- There is no overhead sign or warning about the end of the lane. Only the
left arrows on the pavement mark it.
- The lane markings can be difficult to see at night, in the rain, or in the
- I have seen some vehicles mistakenly go straight through in the left turn
lane. Everyone who uses this intersection regularly knows about it, but someone
who is new to the area will be surprised by the unconventional design.
- Nowhere else is Charlemagne Blvd restricted to one lane.
- The dedicated left turn lane in the westbound direction is rarely used
compared with other movements at the intersection.
- The end of the inside lane impacts traffic on Tenth Line Road, since you
now have to choose your lane in the double left hand turn lanes on Tenth Line
before turning onto Charlemagne. The right hand of these two lanes typically
backs up during the PM peak hours and can take several cycles to get through.
- To avoid this backup on Tenth Line, particularly if there is a bus in the
right lane that will stop on Charlemagne, one is tempted to use the left lane
and then squeeze into the right lane before the signal at Princess Louise.
Combined with two right hand intersections on this stretch of Charlemagne, these
lane changes can be risky.
- There is a bus stop in the eastbound lane just past Princess Louise, where
there is only a single eastbound lane. Vehicles commonly pass the bus by using
the oncoming left turn lane.
Unless I am missing an important design component, it seems that the
intersection is more dangerous than it was before the lane markings were
changed. The addition of the traffic signal itself has much improved the
intersection for pedestrians and vehicles on Princess Louise.
I would propose that the left turn only inside eastbound become a combined
left turn and straight through lane, and that the westbound left turn only lane
be removed. This is how the lanes were marked when the traffic signal was first
Please note that we are NOT asking that overhead lane markings be installed.
This is an expensive solution and does not address our other concerns.
Sewer grates for bicycles (Marc)
- Marc raised a neighbour's concern about sewer grates being aligned so as
to trap bicycle wheels.
- David said that there is a city bicycle advisory committee that has
raised this issue before, and that there should be guidelines.
- Louise will follow up.
Garage Sale (David)
- Garage sale on Saturday May 13, rain or shine
Outdoor Rinks (Paul Pelletier)
- Paul sent rink report on April 6
- FCA will not manage Maple Ridge rink next year, Zybina will
inform Mark McGee
Petrie Island Report (Zybina)
- Zybina did not attend the April, but had e-mailed the report on April
Volunteer Awards Evening (Zybina)
- New date of May 6, 7pm, at the 10th Line Piazza restaurant instead of
RFC Halls A&B
- Rink managers will get plaques
Annual General Meeting (Zybina)
- AGM set for May 22, RFC homework room
Homeniuk Amusement Rides
- Zybina mailed a letter 3 weeks ago to owner of Trim Road
property, no response
- Don said Randy Homeniuk did not visit in March as planned
- Don will send e-mail to Dan Brisebois, asking if Homeniuk can go
on Petrie Island for July 1
- The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 pm.
Minutes recorded by David Villeneuve