Fallingbrook Community Association
Minutes of the Executive Meeting
28 February 2011
255 Centrum Blvd
Zybina Richards, David Villeneuve, George Blake, Nick O'Connell, Joel Denis,
Philippe Berthiaume, Pierre Blais, Harold Melish, Henri Gravelle, Royal Galipeau
Treasurer's Report (David Villeneuve)
- David Villeneuve took over as FCA treasurer from Don Pottier during the
summer of 2010.
- David handed out the treasurer's report.
- David asked that we defer approving the minutes until one transaction is
Royal Galipeau (MP Ottawa-Orleans)
- Federal funding of $50M was obtained to add extra lanes to Hwy 174 at
- 255 Centrum: passport office no longer wants to use building.
Galipeau, Monette, Blais and Bloess to move into second floor on the north
side in a set of suites.
- Wants NRC to move industrial centre to 255 Centrum.
Harold Melish (for Phil McNeely MPP)
- Showed plans for 174/417 interchange improvements.
- Hunt Club is being extended east, but interchange to 417 not yet funded.
- HST tax credit, seniors credits discussed
- 95% of jobs lost during recession have been recovered.
- Funding obtained to extend operating hours of MRI machines in Ottawa.
- Health Hub site has been purchased on Mer Bleu Road, no schedule for
Henri Gravelle (for Councillor Bob Monette)
- Handed out list of capital and improvement items from upcoming city
Philippe Berthiaume (for Councillor Blais)
- Trim Road realignment from North Service Road to Blackburn Bypass
Extension, 4 lanes, funded.
- Extension of North-South Link to Trim Road to go through Park 18B.
- City is considering buying 75 double decker buses, which operate better
in snow than the articulated buses.
Pierre Blais (Ray Friel Centre Manager)
- 18% reduction in fitness centre users due to opening of new centres.
- Loss is in the 25-45 year old group, which is the group targeted by
- Pool is now open after several months of renovations.
Sherri Eustace (4th Orleans Scouts)
- 145 youths and 41 adults registered.
- Have to add another fundraiser to pay for increased rent of Fallingbrook
School gym; will sell rain barrels for $55.
- 25th anniversary party on June 4 at Petrie Island
- Joel had organized a Community Conversation to discuss Orleans issues
with residents. 36 participants.
- Will consider what the next steps are.
Nick O'Connell (FCA Rink Manager)
- All 3 rinks generally running well.
- Usual problems of getting rink attendants to show up.
- Continued difficulties with Sean Dore, the city custodian at Maple Ridge
/ South Fallingbrook.
- Police called to Fallingbrook Rink over a mixup with a hockey puck.
Development Application (David Villeneuve)
- Minor variance being sought for building at 3413 St Joseph Blvd to
permit a 12 storey office building.
- There was some concern that this might reduce the view of some residents
of Fallingbrook along the ridge.
- The city will inform these residents in the usual way, so that they can
attend the committee of adjustment meeting on 2 March 2011.
- The FCA in general supports development of employment centres in
Garage Sale (David Villeneuve)
- Garage sale scheduled for May 14. On web site.
- Zybina will warn Bylaw Department that we are putting up signs, so they
don't destroy them like last year.
Fun Fair (Zybina Richards)
- Fun Fair scheduled for August 27.
Minutes recorded by David Villeneuve